Directing Priyan's maiden venture

HE'S the lucky guy who directed Thala Ajit right in his debut film, 'Kireedam'. He considers himself even more fortunate to have a guru like ace director Priyadarshan. Director Vijay’s claim to fame is not his father’s name. He doesn’t even use any initials in his name.

Dad AL Azhagappan (Valli Cine Arts) may be a leading distributor, a producer and former vice president of the Producer’s Council and secretary of the Distributors Council. But Vijay has carved his own identity, doing both his dad and mentor proud.

In his second film 'Poi Solla Porom' ( PSP), he is directing the first movie produced by Priyadarshan, both a tremendous pressure and a great honour for him. How has this journey into cinema been so far?

Life changing moment

Vijay is clear that he owes everything he is today, to his mentor Priyadarshan. “Through every shot of PSP, I would remember that Priyan sir’s name is involved. That pushed me to go that extra mile.” recollects Vijay. So how did he meet his mentor? Apparently one thing led to another.

Vijay recalls, "Isari K Ganesh, the chairman of Vels College of Science recommended me to the director AL Raja of 'Ninaikade Naal Illai' and I worked as assistant director. My dad was against my joining films this way. He felt I wouldn’t be able to take the treatment usually meted out to young assistant director's in cinema!

But people saw my work and told him I was doing well. It was PS Subbiah who introduced me to Priyadarshan sir,” remembers Vijay. He breathes deeply and adds, “I still remember, I met him at 11 30 am on 5 December 2000 at his Four Frames office. After that moment my life changed completely.

When he took me as assistant director in 'Kakka Kuyil' (Malayalam), it was the greatest opportunity for me."

Taking wing


Then came Lesa Lesa and Vijay’s excitement was unbounded. Being the only one who knew Tamil in the unit, Vijay learnt more with the additional workload. “The best part about Priyan sir is that he never shouts. He will understand your work and nature, respect talent and guide you. I have learnt discipline, hard work and dedication from him,” feels Vijay.

Vijay worked on 'Hungama' and 'Kilichundan Mampazham' too and once he was four films old, he wanted to take wing on his own. “Priyan sir was delighted. ‘Tell me what you need and I will back you’ he had said.

Till today he is behind everything I have done on screen,” says an emotionally charged Vijay.

Sojourn into ads

But before he could find a producer for his first script, Anil Jain of Venus Ad Films tied up with him and Vijay went on to do 55 ad films in the next one-and-a-half years. “I didn’t want to sit idle at home waiting for my first film to take off,” grins Vijay. Today he is one of the well-known ad makers in his field and has done 90 ads to date.

In fact he got Ajit into 'Kireedam' because of his ad showreel! Was dad happy? “Dad never compliments me but when I bought a Lancer, selling my Maruti, he realised I had carved a niche without having used his name! He would praise me to others, so I think he was proud of me!” grins Vijay.

Vijay now has three scripts and is already getting offers from Big Motion Pictures and Gemini Productions. For the shy boy with big dreams of cinema, the journey into the big league has already begun.

Related Posts by Categories



....

No comments: