Another star son makes his Kollywood hero debut

WHEN you’re a star son who is foraying into films, expectations are naturally high. For Shanthnoo Bhagyaraj the pressure is doubled since both his parents, Bhagyaraj and Poornima, are renowned actors in tinsel town. But the 22-year-old is fielding the pressure pretty well and if he’s feeling the heat, he’s certainly hiding it well behind a dimpled smile and a candid attitude.

Surprisingly 'Sakarakatti' is his first film as a hero, but technically his second Kollywood film. “I acted as an important child actor in 'Vetiyai Madichi Kattu' ( starring Bhagyaraj and Nagma) when I was in the fifth grade in Sishya,” grins Shanthnoo.

“I always wanted to act after seeing dad and mom on screen. But my parents insisted I finish my 12th grade first. Though I excelled in studies, I was a very naughty kid, more interested in extra-curricular activities.” he grins.

However when he reached class 12, his parents insisted he complete his degree. But by second year at Loyola doing economics, he already started assisting his dad for 'Parijatam' and by 2006 he had started on debut director Kala Prabhu’s 'Sakarakatti'. “My parents insisted they would let me complete the film only if got my degree!” recollects Shanthnoo.

Why didn’t his dad launch his debut film? “Dad was busy with 'Parijatam'. He was impressed by Kala Prabhu’s perfect planning and detailing for 'Sakarakatti'. The role is something like Karthik’s in 'Mouna Ragam' and the character is completely like me. Dad felt it was good to begin with a character I could relate to,” reveals Shanthnoo.

What was dad’s reaction on seeing the rushes of 'Sakarakatti?' “He never pays me compliments, so when he said I had done well and he was happy with my work, it was the biggest compliment for me,” laughs Shanthnoo.

What’s it like being directed by Bhagyaraj in Moserbaer and KBR Media’s 'Pudiya Varpugal?' “It’s very scary. Being his son, I get the brunt of his frustration with anyone else. He’s really strict with me at shoots and I think my character there will have shades of my dad’s performance since he is directing,” says Shanthnoo. It’s Telugu version, being shot simultaneously, is directed by Chandra Mahesh.

Mom Poornima is very excited about her son’s debut while sister Saranya cant believe her ‘baby brother’ is acting. The family has every reason to be proud, for in December he begins his third film, a complete action movie directed by Ashok ( associate of Murgadoss). Here he sheds the choco-boy looks for a beard and long hair for a film set in the city and a small town. For Shanthnoo, his path is clear. “I want to blend with all scripts, chocolate boy or action hero,” he concludes.

Related Posts by Categories



....

No comments: