Ramya Krishnan in Sun Tv

SHE’S the latest to join the bandwagon of movie stars who have chosen the small screen as an alternative career option. Ramya Krishnan, the bold actress of Padayappa and Panchathanthiram fame, is now in Kalasam, a mega-serial on Sun TV. ‘‘When film offers come my way, if I like the script and if it suits my age, I don’t mind doing the role. Padayappa gave me the right break and people still recognise me as Nilambari. And acting with Kamal Hassan in Panchathanthiram was a dream come true,” says the actress, who played the big, bad girl in both movies.

Directed by M R Senthilkumar, Kalasam is about an employed woman, Ranjani, hailing from a middle-class background who raises her voice against male chauvinism. ‘‘I haven’t quit films. I was always on the look out for a good script for a serial and I zeroed in on Kalasam,’’ clarifies Ramya, who actually entered the small screen as the host of Thangavettai, a game show on Sun TV.

‘‘I am doing a double role in Kalasam. One of them is Nilambari (a character she played in the Rajinikant-starrer Padayappa) and the other is Ranjani, competing with a business tycoon played by Sudha Chandran,’’ she explains. The story, written by Kutti Padmini, has powerful characters, and promises to have interesting twists. Commenting on the trend of women-centric stories, Ramya says, ‘‘Women form a major part of our viewership and producers create serials based on them, for them. It’s only natural.’’

We ask her about the current buzz — that she is the highest paid small screen actress in the South — and she easily dismisses it with, ‘‘I don’t know and I haven’t thought about it as it’s just been a month since we started shooting for the serial.’’ While Ramya shares the small screen with other actresses like Devayani, Sukanya, Radhika Sarathkumar and Kousalya, she plans to get to the top soon. As for films, she has signed five movies this year in Tamil and Telugu.

‘‘I don’t want to take on too many things at a time because my family is my first priority,’’ she adds. ‘‘My husband and my fouryear- old son Ritvik already feel neglected because of my tight schedules.’’ So when Ramya is not shooting, you’ll find her with her family.

“I need no exercises as my son keeps me fit by making me run around the house,’’ laughs the actress.

Related Posts by Categories



....

No comments: